Stretch Goal

• Role – Bassist
  • Goal – My overall goal for the year is to be able to play “For Whom the Bell Tolls” by Metallica on bass. My main goal is the beginning bunch of measures, but the whole song would be pretty dang cool.
  • Why – I want to achieve this because the bass guitar has always been really interesting to me. It can make sounds that no other instrument can, and it can sound all nice and pretty, then sound really gritty and hardcore right after. Plus, I don’t think there are enough awesome bassists out there, so I hope to become one.
  • How – I will achieve this by working on it nearly every moment possible. Since I have a bass at home, I can practice there. However, I don’t really have an amp to use with it, so it’ll be kind of hard, but I’m saving up money for one.
  • When – I will work on this possibly 6 days a week, maybe 3, just depends on what goes on that week.
  • Resources – 4-string electric bass, bass amp, amp chord, and the drive to play. Some YouTubers help me out with this as well, such as CoverSolution, Davie405, and a few others.

• Milestones
    • November 1st, 2017 – I can play the first four notes at 118 bpm
    • December 1st, 2017 – I can play the first nine notes at 118 bpm
    • February 1st, 2018 – I can play the first 72 notes at 118 bpm
    • June 1st, 2018 – I can play the whole dang song at 118 bpm
  • Heroines / Heroes – The bassist that I look up to most is definitely Jason Newsted, the former bassist of the band Metallica. He is an amazing bassist and he has been through so much in his life and I look up to him entirely. However, he didn’t write “For Whom The Bell Tolls”. Cliff Burton did. He was the original bassist of Metallica, who died in a tour bus accident in ’86. He was also an amazing bass player and I look up to him quite a bit as well.
Skip to toolbar