My Presentation #2

Transcendental Awesumitude by dospaz at Flickr.com

What makes a great presentation? Why are some presenters more engaging than others? We will begin to explore these questions with this project. Below you will find the steps and examples each component of the project. Your blog post should have each of these sections with the required images or links and text. Be sure to check your spelling and grammar!

Creating and Formatting The Blog Post Overview Video

Step 1 – Summary of Project

This presentation’s purpose was to share to others our likes, dislikes, hobbies, and other fun facts about ourselves. The presentations we made were not made for fun. They were not made because we felt like it. They were made as a learning experience that would help us later in our careers. And, they worked. The presentations taught us that you shouldn’t have many words on a slide, despite common presentation practice. They told us to keep it simple, and have a high color contrast, to get the audience’s attention. It was noticeable in the presentation. We learned from making quality presentations.

Step 2 – What is Good Presentation?

A principle of a good presentation would be “simple, but not dumb”. What do I mean by that? Well, think of it this way. If you were watching someone present something, you wouldn’t want to see a bunch of words on a screen for you to read, right? That would be pretty boring. However, you wouldn’t want the presentation to leave you asking a lot of questions, would you? So, how do you find the perfect medium? Well, you need to be able to grab the audience’s attention by including a high contrast of colors from background-to-text, such as white text on a black background.

You limit yourself to about 1-4 words per slide. That way, your audience has to watch you constantly in order to follow along properly. As long as you at least cite your sources, you should be good. There you go. The best slideshow in one paragraph.

Step 3 – Brainwriting and Brainstorming Ideas

Before you even do your storyboard, you need to create a “thought bubble”. What is that? Well, take a piece of blank paper. Draw a circle in the middle. Then, create branches that lead to a topic that is written at the end of each branch, which will help you get the basic content included in your presentation. Once you are done with that, you should converse with other people and brainstorm ideas together as a team, which will help you think of more ideas and techniques.

Step 4 – Creating the Storyboard

Take a blank sheet of paper and fold it in half four times. If done correctly, when unfolded, the paper should include sixteen boxes on each side. Use those boxes to your advantage. Treat each of those boxes as a slide in your presentation. Write exactly what you are going to include on each slide in the corresponding boxes. This already organizes every step of your presentation, so you don’t have to think of what you’re going to write or show during the presentation-making process. When you are done, your storyboard should look something like this:

Step 5 – Gathering and Citing Images

What should you do when you need to cite your sources? When it comes to citing sources, it can become really hard, or really easy, depending on what you do. If you follow my instructions, you might head towards the easy route. After visiting https://search.creativecommons.org/ for all of your pictures, download them. When you are done with all of your pictures, you need to create a slide at the end of your presentation that says “Works Cited” at the top, and then list all of your sources in the MLA style. Boom! Easy-peasy. Now, there’s a reason that you need to use the creative commons and not Google Images. If you get an image off of Google Images, the source may not want you to use their image in a commercial use, and you may get sued for doing such thing. If you use the creative commons, every image on their search engine is allowed to be modified, or used for commercial use.

Step 6 – Creating the Master Slide

When you get into your presentation, select “View” at the top of the screen. Then scroll down to “Master Slide” and click that. You will now be able to customize your entire presentation at one time. You can change the background, the font, the color of the font, anything. And when you change something, it applies to all of your slides at once. Just like that. The master slide looks something like this:

Step 7 – Building the Slide Show

To build your presentation, start by putting in all the words you’ll need on their corresponding slides, and where you need a picture, type “PICT OF (whatever you need)” on that slide. This will help you because this way, you can gather all of your images at once, instead of going back and forth between typing and placing images and whatnot. This cuts your time in half.

Step 8 – Sharing the Slide Show

The reason we use SlideShare is because this website is directly correlated with LinkedIn, making it easier for employers to see when they are looking for your work.

Step 9 – Preparing to Present/Pitch

To prepare for your presentation, I suggest presenting it to an “invisible crowd” as I like to call it. Basically, this means to present to something such as an empty room or to your dog or a baby or something that can’t criticize you. Doing this multiple times can greatly increase your skills and your familiarity with the presentation itself. Trust me, this works.

Step 10 – What I Learned

I learned quite a bit from this presentation-creating process. I always thought that you were supposed to have quite a few words on a slide in order to condense the amount of slides. Why did I think that? Slides are essentially limitless! And, you definitely should not have more than five words on a slide. Our brains have such a short attention span, that we most likely won’t even pay attention when there are that many words on a slide. We probably won’t remember it, either. This presentation process has helped me greatly in my technique. Without this, I would still be making multi-sentence powerpoints like a noob. Thank you, Mr. Le Duc.